The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Environmental Cooperative Science Center (ECSC) mission is to train a new generation of environmental scientists in NOAA-related sciences, particularly from under-represented minority groups, and to develop the natural and social science tools for integrated assessments of ecosystem health in support of coastal environmental decision making…read more about the ECSC
The School of the Environment's NOAA-sponsored summer camp is underway!
During the first week, the summer camp students listened to lectures (hosted by the FAMU College of Education) by ECSC Co-PI Dr. Jennifer Cherrier and FAMU ECSC/SOE graduate students. The participants were able to engage in several educational laboratory activities that were developed by undergraduate and graduate students and overseen by Dr. Charles Jagoe (ECSC Distinguished Scientist). Furthermore, the students were able to compete in a mock science bowl competition and visit the Apalachicola National Estuarine Research Reserve (ANERR) with the aid of Megan Lamb (ECSC Coordinator for Research Program and Services).
We'd like to thank our three great Leon County School teachers for their work and participation with the camp. Additionally, we've had great success in the past with former summer camp participants attending ECSC institutions as their college of choice and hope that these experiences will motivate some of these current campers to continue to pursue their interest in marine and environmental science.
Please check out our photos below and stay tuned for weeks 2 and 3!
- 2013 School of the Environment Summer Camp - Week 1
- Creighton ECSC Members Lead Coastal & Estuarine Ecology Course
- Dr. Paul Montagna - ECSC/SOE Seminar at Florida A&M University
- ECSC Student Kim Tucker Awarded FlowCAM Grant
- Delaware State University - Barrier Island Bird Blog
- ECSC Students Selected for NOAA Experiential Opportunities
- 2013 Florida's Oceans Day
- 2013 ECSC Annual Meeting - Tampa, Florida
- ECSC Webinar Series - Daniel Osborne, Ph.D.
- ECSC at the 'Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill & Ecosystem Science Conference'
- FAMU College of Law Hosts Ocean and Coastal Law Panel Discussion
- ECSC In The News: "Is Gulf Seafood Safe to Eat?"
- ECSC's Webinar Series - John Schalles, Ph.D.
- ECSC Newsletter - September 2012
- ECSC In The News: University of Texas-Brownsville
- ECSC Student Jolvan Morris Wins Thomas E. Bigford Award!